Affidavit of Nanavati Commission

     I, Surinder Singh S/o S. Ajit Singh, aged about 52 yrs., R/o A-4, Staff Qtrs., Gurdwara Rakab Ganj, New Delhi, presently Head Granthi of Gurdwara Moti Bagh, New Delhi, do hereby solemnly affirm and declare as under: -

1.                  That during October/November`84, I was the Head Granthi of Gurdwara Pulbangash, near Azad Market, Delhi-7.

2.                  That on 31-10-84, at about 8 PM, some miscreants set a car of one Gurcharan Singh Grover, the proprietor of B-Tex (firm manufacturing under garments at Bahadurgarh Road) who alongwith his family had come to the Gurdwara to offer prayers. We came out on seeing the fire but by that time the miscreants had run away from the scene. Within 10 – 15 minutes, there was huge fire and smoke on the Bahadurgarh roadside. Some people came running and shouting that the house of Gurcharan Singh Grover had been set on fire. Gurcharan Singh’s family got scarred and remained in the Gurdwara till 5:00 in the morning.

3.                  That on 1-11-84, at about 9 AM, a big mob carrying lathis, iron rods, kerosene oil etc. attacked the Gurdwara. The mob was being led by Jagdish Tytler, the Congress (I) M.P. of our area. He incited the mob to burn the Gurdwara and kill the Sikhs. Some people in the mob were carrying flags of Congress. They were raising slogans like “Khoon Ka Badla Khoon Se Lenge, Sardar Gaddar Hain, Mar Do, Jala Do” etc. 5 – 6 policemen were also with the mob. On being incited by the Jagdish Tytler the mob attacked and burnt the Gurdwara. Thakur Singh, who was a retired Delhi Police Inspector and an employee of the Gurdwara Management Committee was killed by the mob. Badal Singh, a Sewadar of the Gurdwara was also killed and burnt alive by putting burning tyre around his neck. I was watching the entire incident helplessly from the top floor of the Gurdwara. The Gurdwara was also set on fire but the fire did not reach the top floor of the Gurdwara.  

4.                  That in the night the Muslim neighbours rescued us. When I returned on 8th November`84, I found that all my household goods had been looted.

5.         That on 10-11-84, Shri Jagdish Tytler came to the Gurdwara and asked me to sign on two sheets of paper, which I refused to sign.


Go to Top